Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bend and Not Break


So I know I didn't blog the last two weeks, but no matter! everything is alright. The world is fine and back on it's feet. So what I'm going to do is promise to write a super long entry at the end of this program, instead of trying to reflect back on it now when the world is a swirling, tumultuous heap of hedonism and contentment that I can't quite wrap my head around right now.


I want to just say--the week before this one passed by so fast. I went to the Botanical gardens again, walked around trying to find the magical temple that I hung out in last time, and instead got absolutely lost in the huge arboretum. This week, bought more stuff at the markets around (shoes, shirts, sweaters, and coooool hoodies), spent about 100 more dollars American (mom, I'm stopping, I promise) and now don't know how I'm possibly going to bring everything back with me to America, much less Yale.


I went to Tian Tan with a teacher today--the trip was good, we talked about her former life as a DJ and her relationship with her boyfriend, other than that nothing special, but it was cool seeing them in a setting outside of the classroom. One thing I like about this program, is how the teachers really are so willing to extend the classroom restrictions and be friends with the students too. Went to a Jewish dinner as well, all paid for, met up with some HBA and ACC people, and ended up having a great time singing songs I didn't understand and eating a exquisite 5 course meal. Next week is the last week--instead of reflecting or being down, I'm going to try and make the most out of every moment I have, see if I can really leave *everything* I have in Beijing, and look back with cloying sentimentality for the rest of my life, because there will never be anything like spending an entire summer just studying Chinese and hanging with friends in a whole new world.

-peter

No comments: