Saturday, July 19, 2008

Carry This Picture

Just came back from the Yale BBQ. Wow. What that means--I spent 120 kuai for the chance to eat 3 kabobs. On the roof of a building. While it was raining. I think the kabobs were undercooked. But really, my starving stomach otherwise, it was a throwback experience. I hadn't seen my roommate from Yale for the last 5 weeks, and the first times we set our eyes on each other, as he had a mouth full of fries and while I was just walking up the stairs, was like someone had sprinkled fairy dust upon the world so that everyone else would choke and leave us to enjoy it together.

I met some Yale 2012 pre-frosh too. I love talking to new, unadultered, angelic Yalies who haven't undertaken the battle yet. So fresh and full of spirit, makes me happy inside. Also, went to the Duke dinner with the Dean yesterday too. It was the best food I've ever tasted. There was this one dish I will remember forever (besides the HOT WINGS!) : UNRIPE MANGO, cut up into slices and then soaked in sprite. Words cannot describe the melding of flavor; eating it made me serene and contemplative about the appreciative joys in live (C.S. Lewis). I realized how cool it is to be the Dean of student affairs. His job is travelling to Korea, Japan, and China to eat food, talk to students, and experience different countries' historic sites. Wait, did I say job?

The last week of classes went by, like usual, in a whirlwind of mediocrity and slight itinerancy. We didn't have any on Monday, seeing as we just returned from Xi'An. On Tuesday, things picked up full swing, but we used two slightly less difficult lessons from outside the book for the 1st two days before returning to Princeton's tried and true methods for the last day. The test was alright, but what I really want to talk about are the amazin' basketball courts that are FINALLY finished. Played 4 times on them in the last week (had to hop the fence because I don't think they open up for anyone anymore) and they were amazing. I'm legit.

Starting to get into the groove of things, because the court is so smooth and crisp and delightful that I feel like I can move whichever direction my body wants to, dammit. I realized too that it's hard to do anything after you work out--especially lift your arms up to shoot the ball. We did Yale vs. Duke one day. Honestly, thought we were going to get destroyed, but somehow pulled out the first one and then lost the second game though we were up late and close in the night.

At this point in time, you might be wondering: "Peter, you haven't been to 90% of Beijing. How can you possibly be wasting your time playing basketball when you could easily do that at Yale?"

Well, the answer is the same one it's always been--it's all in the mindset. All. I realized that I really, really enjoy hanging out with the Duke kids in the program, and that after this summer there will never be the same circumstances that will lead us to these epic (and I mean epic) games of basketball. So what is my mindset? I'll probably be coming back to China to visit, see relatives, and work. I won't be hanging out in China with these same people, and that's what makes the experience so worthwhile. That's what this trip has been--worthwhile. Even though I've gone to most of the big sites, such as Beihai (the lotus leaves were really cool, and there were fruit trees galore there), the people are what make this entire thing click. And what I realized, at the Yale Club BBQ, with the throngs of people here and there, fake conversation and forced dialogue, that you only really need a few. Just a few to talk with, play basketball with, look up at the blue skies with; just a couple to share commonalities in place personality preferences.


Random notes: None, save that it's kind of late (1245am) and tomorrow is early for church. Also, I have a list of everything I want to buy. I've spent way too much on this trip already. Can't keep doing it--but it feels so goooood (that's the first time I've elongated vowels on a post. I vow never to do it again). Also, cut myself on the cabinet door. Talked to my roommate about family, life, and going to Shabbat dinner (totally going, can't wait to pretend to be Jewish). Broke someone's bracelet. And, overall, just had a fulfilling week. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND IS SO GOOOOOOD. oh. my. gosh. James stopped it. Before it was over. I still have 10 minutes left. 10 MINUTES. You DON'T stop someone while someone is watching this movie. It should be a crime. a punishment. an action to which you cannot ever, ever do. Such a good movie. Felt like I'm in a lucid dream. KTV has a lot of 90 pop songs. and Avril Lavigne. Which makes up for it all. I love China. And not having homework.

-PETTITE

No comments: